> Your suggestion to change the "Privacy & Security" System Settings worked!
> I had to select "Files & Folders", find Glu, and enable "Documents Folder".

Good to know -- thanks.

> Here is the output from "Samples/getdir.lua":
>
> glu.getdir("app")       = /Users/volkmannm/Documents/dev/lang/lua/glu-1.0-mac/

Ah, that explains why you were asked to give Glu permission to access Documents.
When Glu starts up it runs glu-1.0-mac/Scripts/startup.lua, so by installing Glu inside
Documents it *is* accessing a file inside it.  (Most people install apps in /Applications
or ~/Downloads which is why I've never come across that problem before.)

Andrew