Hi Steve,

I ran into this a few months back when getting Lua 5.4.4 to work on an STM32 microcontroller, where the time() function always returned zero due to the default C library implementation not being hooked up to the real-time clock.  Not so great for randomness, but then again time() isn't exactly great either--it would be nice to be able to use a better platform-specific implementation where possible, e.g. /dev/random on Linux, or /dev/hwrng on the Raspberry Pi.

My (platform-specific) solution was to replace this with a direct call to a hardware RNG and get a truly random number straight from the hardware.  Like you did, I defined "luai_makeseed" and "l_randomizePivot" to use my random function in both cases.

It would be really nice if this could be done with a single define to provide all random input for all Lua functions.  Or even a weak symbol that can be overridden by the end-user to provide a replacement without even needing to touch the original implementation.

Kind regards,
Roger