In that code, it's LGPL, not GPL! Meaning that its interface is open
an integrable, the implementation is closed (like a blackbox) but
replaçable at will. LGPL allows integration with MIT and BSD code and
distribution of the tiny compiled binary (the ".o" or ".obj" file or
inside a a ".a" or ".lib" library archive)