On 14/02/2023 03:34, sur-behoffski wrote:
Any bit specific for Windows/Unix should
be explicitly turned on by some macro.

I had to read this a few times until I realised that, in this sentence, bit = part, piece, or component.

  Not bit = binary digit :-)

“I know about carry bits, stop bits, and parity bits, but I have never heard of a Windows bit.”
What about half-carry (e.g. in the Z80), used to normalise accumulator
operations to provide BCD format?

[And, just for fun, the Z80 has a 4-bit architecture for the
accumulator when you get to the bare metal, despite the documentation
presenting it as an 8-bit CPU.]

s-b etc.
The AVR 8-bit architecture (used in ATmega328 MCUs, for and other uChip former Atmel MCUs) has a half carry bit in its flag register.

-- Lorenzo