> When compiling for iOS, Apple decided to make the `system(…)` function unavailable. The only way to compile Lua for this platform at the moment is by removing this call for the iOS build, e.g. maintaining a fork of Lua.

We could add the appropriate conditionals to avoid calling system in
iOS but we don't have access to iOS development platforms.
We need an incantation that works in current systems but we cannot
test it. We could not find official documentation on this issue.
Here are some candidate incantations:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/5920028/107090

If someone can provide trusted and tested code for this that is
current, please post here. Thanks.
--lhf