made some progress finally, this PR will track the work

https://github.com/belm0/lua/pull/1

On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 9:42 AM John Belmonte <john@neggie.net> wrote:
I tried to implement this patch myself, with the intention of using it to continue the "Lua and structured concurrency" article.

After many hours, I wasn't able to find a surgical change that would do it.  I'm hoping Roberto would provide some guidance on how it might be implemented.

The initial problem is that, once `callclosemethod()` is changed to expect a return value from `__close()`, it's quite hard to capture that value and restore the stack in the case where `__close()` yields.  I thought it might be done in `finishpcallk()`, but couldn't find a way to detect that a `__close()` call had actually returned in that context.