>Compilers not recognizing an expression or
>or unable to optimize it would just parse it
> as it is without the `().

How would I, as the programmer, know which parts of my program might be optimisable by all the various compiler variants out there? I’d end up with backticks all over the place, like fleas crawling through my source, trying to identify every part of my code that every compiler variant might be able to optimise in some way.

If your compiler has its own unique ways of optimising my code, it should just do that anyway for all the code it compiles. Anyway, if you have several different optimisations, how would I mark up each backtick to tell you which optimisation to apply in each case? That’s the compiler’s job, surely?

So just treat every source file as though the whole thing is wrapped it a “backtick bubble”…