Given that you will need your own compiler to generate your own this-is-not-actually-Lua bytecode…

…then why would your compiler need these weird syntactic hints mixed into the source code?

If your compiler isn’t smart enough to figure out for itself when to generate code to use your new-and-improved operators, then it’s not doing its job properly. (Or your new operators aren’t really an improvement.)

Also, how would programmers signal which of possibly many non-standard Lua compilers they were trying to “assist” when they added backticks to their code? How would each modified compiler know which backtick markup was relevant to its specific new operators and optimisations? (And if it could figure it out for itself, why would it need the backtick markup in the first place?)