On Tue, 23 Nov 2021, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> > #define LUA_FLOAT_DEFAULT       LUA_FLOAT_LONGDOUBLE
> >
> > [...]
> > ltable.c: In function ‘mainposition’:
> > ltable.c:153:14: note: the ABI of passing union with ‘long double’ has changed in GCC 4.4
> >   153 | static Node *mainposition (const Table *t, int ktt, const Value kvl) {
> >       |              ^~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I could understand such a warning for an
> extern function, but this one is static. What version of gcc are you
> using?

gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110

> Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the code, long double is not a
> "standard" configuration, and gcc 4.4 is somewhat old, so we can live
> with this warning.

Ok., thanks for checking.

Btw., this configuring of an entire interpreter engine to long double by
a single define is immensely useful. Gives nice extra accuracy without
significant speed penalty when needed, e. g., for numerical problems. I
don't know of any other engine where it's so easy to change.

Best Regards, Hartmut