if we were to talk about being practical, you'd be better
off compiling the modules you want into the executable directly
instead of dynamically loading them.

That’s how I compile Lua because it makes for a smaller binary that’s easier to build. My personal fork of Lua includes a limited version of luafilesystem (lfs), without timestamps (to avoid Y2038 problems) or Unix-specific file information, as well as a variant of the bit32 lib (because there are *a lot* of places where bit operations make sense, and bit32 is the closest thing we have to a generally used bit operation interface in a world where LuaJIT and other non-PUC implementations of Lua are still at Lua 5.1 + some form of 32-bit op library).