On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> > I don't think that's true. In Lua 5.3, an asynchronously set hook
> > would always eventually interrupt an infinite loop, but in Lua 5.4,
> > there are some circumstances in which it never will.
>
> There was never any such guarantee in 5.3, and we are still waiting to
> see one single such circumstance for 5.4. Both are exactly on the same
> ground.
>
> This is starting to look like a FUD campain.
>
> -- Roberto

Sorry, that wasn't my intent. What I meant was that it happened to
always work in 5.3 and below, and some programs have ended up relying
on that behavior even though it was never explicitly called out as a
guarantee. Given that, how about for 5.4 we just add a note about this
to the manual under "Incompatibilities with the Previous Version"?

Joseph C. Sible