On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:53 PM Joseph C. Sible <josephcsible@gmail.com> wrote:

> How would checking G(L)->hookmask be any better than just checking
> G(L)->globalhook? It can't just replace an existing check of
> L->hookmask, since that isn't checked in the hot path (only
> ci->u.l.trap is, which is the source of the original problem).

As I said, I am not so familiar with the details as you are, however,
I did not say "just replace an existing check of L->hookmask". I said
"the code that currently checks for any hooks, should check
G(L)->hookmask", i.e., the idea is that all the checking for hooks
should be done by a single check of G(L)->hookmask, which should hold
the effective hook mask and be updated at the appropriate times, such
as Lua thread switches, and possibly ci->u.l.trap (not really sure
what this is).

Cheers,
V.