I may be a bit biased, as I am in the process of writing my own
framework for this, but I consider Lua very viable for everything
web-related.

I've played around with OpenResty+Tarantool+Fengari quite a bit and
there's something about it that just feels right. The only thing that
still annoys me about it is that Lua doesn't natively run in the
browser, but that's very likely to be a non-issue thanks to web assembly
sooner rather than later. Now that LLVM supports WASM as a backend, the
hordes of rust fanboys will only accelerate that process.

The only real problem I see is completely unrelated to any of the
implicated technologies; it's the staff question. Developers learn
python because companies use python. Companies use python because
developers know python.