On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 22:00:15 +0000
Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 21:51, Lorenzo Donati
> <lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
> > OTOH the lack of such batteries greatly hamper the diffusion of Lua
> > as a general purpose language.
> >

> Well Python is arguably a better general purpose language

Only because batteries.

> and has a
> very powerful set of libraries. Why does the world need another one?

Personally speaking, so I can have a batteries included language whose
only complex datatypes are table and metatable.

As far as the question "why does the world need another one?", one
could have asked that about C, because you can do *anything* with C. It
might take ten times more code, it might tremendously increase the
likelihood of errant pointers and buffer overruns, but C is the
ultimate general purpose language: Why do we need another one?

Just as a point of information, I recommended a curated group of
add-ons be in a separate package, not in the Lua package. That way
embedded programmers can use just Lua.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust