Am 20.12.2019 um 09:42 schrieb Thijs Schreijer:

On 18 Dec 2019, at 14:42, Gavin Holt <holtgavin@gmail.com
<mailto:holtgavin@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

I love Lua - thank you all. This is the language I recommend to
anyone wanting to learn to code - my copy of PIL has been a great
tutorial. There are great development environments available in SciTE
or Zerobrane, and a nice friendly community.

Lua is well suited to the "non-compiling user", as are many other
interpreted languages. The popularity of these scripted languages is
in part the ability to use them without learning/maintaining a
compiler. However, there is a ceiling to what can be achieved with
Lua alone and from that point onwards you need compiled libraries aka
"Batteries" (lfs, winapi, rex_pcre, clipboard, afx, lpeg, hunspell,
lsqlite, vcl, gslshell). I am very grateful to those who have made
compiled libraries for windows available to download, I don't have or
want a compiler!

Unfortunately Windows makes this very hard. Depending on the versions
of the toolchains used to compile the libraries (and hence the
dependencies on the underlying MSVCRT type runtime libraries) libs
will be compatible or not. In case of incompatibilities, the user
get’s no clear messages, just a weird failure.

Thijs

As a Windows user i fully agree with Thijs. Sooner or later you will
figure out no windows port fully fit your needs and you have to compile
your own lua. Maybe you want to have more than one lua version ready.
Where to store the c modules? Where to store the Lua modules? and so
on... I use TDMgcc on windows as compiler and it works great also with
luarocks.

If you want to avoid all this and you use Win10, you have the option to
use WSL (windows subsystem for Linux) and run your lua scripts in a
linux environment.

Anyway, sooner or later you need to get familiar with a c compiler :)

Ulrich.