On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 6:55 AM bil til <flyer31@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Do you possibly consider to allow value/variable names encoded UTF8 in lua?

Please do not.

Some UTF-8 symbols look very much like the others (and I am not even talking about the fact that most Chinese (for example) characters would look all mostly the same to a person who does not know Chinese). Some characters could be invisible, or visible by only modifying adjacent characters, resulting in more craziness.  Different UTF-8 strings may look exactly the same (or not) in some editors.

Especially in Lua, with its global by default rule, such things could be very confusing, painful and difficult to debug.

I have struggled with this enough in other languages, and I can confidently say it would be a disaster in Lua, too.

Cheers,
V.