I haven't done game programming in Lua, but it occurred to me that the
component syntax would allow you to use utf8 functions as string
methods: ('βλαβλα'):utf8.codepoint(1, -1) instead of
utf8.codepoint('βλαβλα', 1, -1). That's neat. The utf8 library would
have to be added as a field inside the __index metafield of the string
metatable.

— Gabriel