On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:49:10PM -0300, Hugo Musso Gualandi wrote:
> At the moment we are compiling down to C and using GCC as a backend so
> we should be portable to most things that can already run PUC-Lua. That
> said, I could see us switching to an LLVM-based backend sometime in the
> future. Do you know if that would be an problem for RISC OS (or other
> similar achitectures)?

John Tytgat tried several years ago to port LLVM to RISC OS (he was part
of the team that maintains the GCC port), but I think this effort has
been abandoned.  One of the issues is RISC OS's rather unusual memory
management, leading to the use of "chunked stacks" that few compilers
seem to have good support for, and most of the delta for the GCC port is
to support just this.

(Stacks are implemented as a linked list of memory blocks, the function
pre- and post-ambles allocate and free the function's stack on the heap and
insert it into the list.)

B.