May I congratulate the inspired genius(es?) who hit
upon the name of Pallene (I have just been browsing
http://www.lua.org/wshop18.html), which is well chosen
from more than one perspective.

One aspect of Lua, which may be unique to it, is that
use of the __index metamethod permits one to dualize
explicitly the space/time trade-off afforded by memoization;
that is, table look-up can be performed by a fall-back function.
I hope that Pallene will retain some of these aspects,
even if the full generality of metatables has to be
sacrificed to the type system.

I hope also that Pallene will offer the same portability
as Lua. My rather feeble efforts to port LuaJIT to RISC
OS failed because RISC OS does not have the tools needed
for its more complicated compilation.
--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/