Hi,

I'm very happy to see ongoing work on static compiled & static typed languages (Pallene/Tian) that can be combined easily and elegant with Lua :-)

On 16.09.18 16:49, hgualandi at inf.puc-rio.br (Hugo Musso Gualandi) wrote:
At the moment we are compiling down to C and using GCC as a backend so
we should be portable to most things that can already run PUC-Lua. That
said, I could see us switching to an LLVM-based backend sometime in the
future. Do you know if that would be an problem for RISC OS (or other
similar achitectures)?

I very much would appreciate if the C backend could be kept as first citizen backend. One of the great advantages of Lua is that you always know that it can run on nearly anything that has a C compiler. This is a very reliable and sound base that is worth to invest in, because there is nearly always a way to get Lua working (e.g. I use Lua daily on z/OS ;-). A dream would become reality if Lua could be accompanied by a static compiled and static typed language that has the same fundamental principles than Lua and one fundamental principle is that Lua just requires an environment with a C compiler. In fact these days there are only very few high level languages that directly translate to C, LLVM and JVM are the common targets. Also the LLVM C backend seems to be abandoned :-( So please keep on the good work on using the C backend and some day it could also be possible to use Pallene/Titan on z/OS ;-) (BTW: how are Pallene & Titan related, are these different approaches or different aims?)

Best regards,
Oliver