On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, 12:29 AM Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018, 14:54 Bill Kelsoe <wildbillkelsoe@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.
I am trying to create my first function. However, page 14 in Refman for function calls lists the syntax as functioncall --> prefixexp args

what are these? I am new to programming guys. Are these evaluee values or the variables? Is there any book that teaches kindergarten or primary kids these terms? I am really frustrated. I dont even know what garbage collection means. why would I collect garbage 😂

Hell even tables, I am trying to grasp them but I suppose they ease program execution by recalling the so called structured data faster...

Do you have experience programming with other languages? Either way, you'd probably benefit more from a Lua tutorial than from the manual; the manual is to refer to when you need to know exactly how some feature works.

If you are interested in Lua, I think it's worth your time to read Programming in Lua. The first edition is available to read online [1]. Even though it's written for an older version of Lua (5.0), the topics you might be interested in (functions, tables) are relevant to this date, and in general I find the book a great introduction to programming.

[1] https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html