 >> Also, another thing: it would be useful to have a non-interactive
 >> version of the lua standalone binary built by default in addition to
 >> the interactive one. The problem with the interactive one is that it
 >> pulls in not only readline but any dependency of readline, which has
 >> been causing me compatibility problems (specifically, readline
 >> pulling in a different version of libncurses than the lcurses module
 >> was linked against).

 Daurnimator> You get such a thing if you don't compile lua with
 Daurnimator> LUA_USE_READLINE.

Obviously, but I _want_ an interactive lua binary with readline to
actually use interactively, but a non-interactive or at least
readline-free one for running actual apps without having to worry about
library compatibility. Also, it means that if I decide to distribute the
app, anyone using it also has to build their lua binary that way (or I
have to ship a tiny C program for no reason).

--
Andrew.