 >> And speaking of which, it's very annoying that lua.c isn't setting
 >> rl_readline_name, which would make it possible to conditionally
 >> disable completion (or make other configuration choices) in .inputrc
 >> or .editrc.

 Daurnimator> Good idea: setting rl_readline_name would be a simple +
 Daurnimator> useful change to lua.c

 Daurnimator> To fix the original issue in this thread, the readline
 Daurnimator> manual suggests that programs should run:

 Daurnimator> rl_bind_key ('\t', rl_insert);

That assumes you don't want to disable completion entirely, just allow
tabs to self-insert. If there's no point in even doing completion
(completing for filenames seems pointless), then setting
rl_inhibit_completion would seem a better idea.

Also, another thing: it would be useful to have a non-interactive
version of the lua standalone binary built by default in addition to the
interactive one. The problem with the interactive one is that it pulls
in not only readline but any dependency of readline, which has been
causing me compatibility problems (specifically, readline pulling in a
different version of libncurses than the lcurses module was linked
against).

--
Andrew.