Glenn:

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 12:36 AM, Glenn Travis <travplays@comcast.net> wrote:
> The Sudo was a typo.

R, just confirming.

> I understand that "make install' is a single command, but to get it on macOS correctly, one must use sudo make install.   Interestingly enough until recently Mac Terminal commands, file names etc were not case sensitive

IIRC the mac filesystem is case-insensitive. To execute external
commands the shells normally just looks for an executable file in
$PATH, so they are going to find it. Some goes for file names, but do
not goe to far with "etc", as things like "make" are case sensitive,
and "install" is not a fliename.

 BTW, I suspect Mac Terminal is equivalent to the xterm & clones I use
in Linux. In this case it does not execute commands, it executes a
single one at start ( the shell, i think it's a bash clone in modern
mac ) and it is the shell who execute commands. You can make it
execute another thing.

> I just messed around with the make and the install commands. For instance, I could do make and then install (sudo install later).

Mmm, shocking. Maybe you have some "install" alias/shell script
somewhere, as install is normally just a fancy "cp" program. I cannot
find anything similar in my lua src tree using [find . -iname
'*install*']

To clarify it, in my machine:

folarte@p:~/tmp/lua-5.3.4$ type make install
make is /usr/bin/make
install is /usr/bin/install

make and install are different programs, both provided by standard
packages. install is just a fancy copy.

Without knowing what you have installed & the exact sequence of
commands, it's neraly imposible to say more.

Francisco Olarte.