On Feb 3, 2018 12:01 PM, "Russell Haley" <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for the top post.

I'm not sure I'm keen on this solution but the cut paste struggle is 'real'.

I either loose the first character or have to delete all the extra chevrons. The extra space would mean I have to delete two spaces when I copy one liners.

If I'm honest the space between the REPL and the first character bugs me too. ‎

My preference would instead consist of  being able to dump the console history for the session or even just the last successful chunk:

Print_last_chunk()
Save_last_chunk(filename)

(The capital letters in the names are my email clients idea).

I'll bet that's already an available pattern.  If I were implementing it I would add a console class that has various facilities only available through interactive mode.

I expect Steve Donavan to pipe up here and say he's got that written somewhere. I seem to think of things he's already invented. :P

Russ

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.
  Original Message
From: Soni "They/Them" L.
Sent: Saturday, February 3, 2018 8:11 AM
To: Lua mailing list
Reply To: Lua mailing list
Subject: [Proposal] Change default _PROMPT from "> " to "> " (two spaces)

Hi! As you may or may not know, Lua uses _PROMPT and _PROMPT2 in the
standard REPL (indeed, it's described in the reference manual).

Their default values, e.g. when unset, are "> " and ">> ". There are
some reasons why this isn't good:

1. Terminals have block selection mode (hold control while selecting).
The different widths makes this difficult.
2. That's about the only reason.

I propose we change this so the default/fallback _PROMPT and _PROMPT2
are ">  " and ">> " respectively, i.e. they have the same width by
default. This would work really well with block selection.

Ideally, you could enclose the prompt in formatting codes that tell the terminal emulator to not copy it by default. However I don't know of any that have such a feature.