> I only started becoming familiar with Lua since 5.3, but by all
> accounts 5.1 appears to have been the highpoint - I wonder how much of
> that was due to LuaJIT though.

Not so much a high point (although it was a vast improvement
on 5.0) as a stagnation trap. 5.2 was the first new release in six years,
and introduced several breaking changes.

1. No more 'module'.
2. _ENV instead of getfenv/setfenv.
3. No more locale-dependent letters in identifiers. (English speakers
have no inkling of what this does to you.)

These add up to a substantial barrier to upgrading one's
existing code. The LuaTeX project (which was my entry point
into Lua) did, though.

> Personally I think Lua 5.3 is more rounded and has a bunch of
> useful features.

One can argue that 5.3 is what 5.2 should have been, but then
the six years would have been nine and 5.1 would have been
even more entrenched.