On 8 January 2018 at 20:22, Dan Tull <dtull@adobe.com> wrote:

> Are your patches available somewhere such as github?
Nope, they're internal. Honestly, the only one that was
significant/interesting was the opcode patching for performant
breakpoints. The rest are trivial enough that it'd take more work
(meaning internal hoops to get clearance to release code, etc) to
share them than they'd take to replicate from a rough description.

> > That said, we've never bothered (for various reasons) with Lua
> > versions past 5.1...

> I am interested to know what the reasons are for staying with 5.1,
> would be great if you could share.
Mostly there just hasn't been enough advancement* to merit making
the move to the new version. I did actually do a bit of work to confirm
the patches we have did port reasonably easily to Lua 5.2 and 5.3,
but none of the teams using Lua (mostly Lightroom) had any strong
reason to make the move, so we haven't bothered.

Also, staying on 5.1 left the door more readily open for teams to
consider LuaJITbut nobody made that move either (and probably
won't at this point).

DT

* Note this isn't intended as an insult to Lua, but a compliment. Lua
in general, and 5.1 in particular pretty much sets an unmatched bar
as an open source component for quality. It's been incredibly solid
and dependable for us.