On 1/19/2018 11:53 PM, Jean-Luc Jumpertz wrote:
Frankly, this proposal makes sense, and I thinks bashers should read it carefully before criticizing it with that much energy… :-)

- Yes, having a single type of structured data is intellectually elegant, but it brings lots of subtleties that are not easy to understand for Lua newcomers.
- Yes, tables with holes are hell (see the number of discussions on this list about ipairs or about the len operator ;-)
- Yes, the "table" library is only related to sequences.

So thanks, Elias for having taken the time to write this! :-)

I'm not real enthusiastic about an array type. My personal opinion of course.

(I don't think there are perfect vararg schemes either. Dots are fine.)

I think Lua newcomers should not be the ones dictating the shape or direction of Lua. Do we need to mollycoddle Lua newcomers? Coders can't handle complexity? They are coders?

They need free their minds of internal blockages. :-) :-)