Daurnimator <quae@daurnimator.com> wrote:

> The github worldview is repo-centric. What you get in a lua tarball is an
> amalgam of multiple repositories: lua, luac and the manual (as well as
> things that are not tracked in repositories).

I discovered this when I was trying to figure out why my clone of the Lua
repository was giving me everything there instead of just the current
version of Lua. Oddly, however, if I use the same link but instead choose
the zip file I do get only what I expected, the "master" branch.

I am somewhat of a Git newbie, I started with CVS years ago and migrated to
SVN quite some time ago. I have used GitHub, but not for anything serious...
literally just pushing some patch files. I also like how SVN does repository
revision numbers, I found the Git method a bit confusing initially.

Is there no way to just clone the master branch, or any other branch, of the
Lua repository from GitHub? I think uploading the other versions of Lua to
GitHub would be quite a benefit, though given how GitHub seems to work it
may be easier to create a new repository for each major version of Lua.

~Paige