> I was wondering if the tests could be amended in a way that makes the
> differences obvious - i.e. have the tests bracketed by version.

Sure they can, you only have to find someone to do it :-) I have little
interest in that. The test suite is not a "product", it is something
for our internal use. It went public because a lot of people asked,
but we do not intend to give support for it (neither to explain this
again and again). If it starts to generate too much noise, it would
be simpler (i.e., less work for us) to make it private again.

BTW, the same is true about the git repository. The main reason it
was not public was that we do not want to discuss every small change
we make, all the time. When it is time to discuss, we release a work
version. It went public because a lot of people asked, but we do not
intend to give support for it (neither to explain this again and again).
Anyone wanting to use the git versions (and the test suites), do it at
their own risk.

-- Roberto