On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM Paige DePol <lual@serfnet.org> wrote:
I am working on a website to document and distribute my patch collection,
some of which are small "power patches", while others are considerably larger.

I want to use the Creative Commons[1] licensing scheme but wonder about the
"Share Alike" provision. According to the licensing notice in lua.h it seems
Lua gives the user full rights to the software as long as attribution to the
original authors is given in derivative works. The Lua license makes no
stipulations about having to open-source any modified versions of the source.

Generally speaking, Creative Commons's own FAQ explicitly recommends against using their license for software, for multiple reasons. [2] That answer further states that "Additionally, our licenses are currently not compatible with the major software licenses, so it would be difficult to integrate CC-licensed work with other free software." IANAL, so I would interpret that on the safe side to mean that no CC license is fully compatible with the MIT license (what Lua uses).

[1] (quoted footnote)
[2] https://creativecommons.org/faq/#can-i-apply-a-creative-commons-license-to-software