I have some code formatting scripts that enforce tab only (and warn if you go over 3 levels of indentation).  The scripts also do some basic heuristics concerning function length, number of static calls, dead code, and generate dot format static call graphs. If I get some time, I'll try to package them up and release them on github.com

I have found going LCD for your solution is always a bad idea, and you need tooling to enforce such policy.  I tend to run these scripts as commit hooks, and it solves the git hash nonsense without wasting developer time.

 As I get older, and my eyes grow weaker, I find the spaces camp to be a major human interface problem.  I can always configure my editor of choice to make tabs legible size (I prefer 8em at 16pt), but can't do the same with spaces. It becomes a serious quality of life issue for some developers.

Dave

On Jun 14, 2017 12:59 PM, "Charles Heywood" <vandor2012@gmail.com> wrote:
Project level editorconfig files would help with that. I personally use them with no complaints

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017, 11:57 Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:
On 14-Jun-17 17:29, Sergey Rozhenko wrote:
> For me it's crazy that so many people to this day use spaces instead of
> tabs. Using tabs helps avoid all these issues of different preferences
> and adds only one: indentation in text from the Internet always has to
> be fixed rather than in half the cases, not that it really matters.

Many, many years ago I used tabs. I quit when I began to port code among
different editors, environments and people: it was a big, unreadable mess.

Now I only use spaces [1]: what I see is what I see, everywhere.

[1] apart from makefiles, of course.

--
   Enrico

Software Developer / System Administrator