On May 18, 2017 7:12 PM, "Russell Haley" <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Ką Mykolas <kamicc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> HOW MUCH?! o_0 and it's still 32bit only?
>
> No, it's not 32-bit-only. It supports both 32-bit and 64-bit just fine
> (and possibly other targets as well).
>
> It's just that some projects (not from Microsoft) still only build in
> 32-bit because they haven't been updated for the 64-bit Windows APIs
> yet or have other specific limitations that haven't been fixed yet.
>
> /s/ Adam

The full install actually failed an hour after I started the download.
I had to pair it back to the basics. I removed the Unity gaming
framework, Xamarian mobel development and all their azure stuff and
that brought it down to a "modest" 13 GB. I couldn't tell if it was
the Unity or the Xamarian stuff that was making the VS install fail.

The good news is it only takes 13Gb of disk space and I now have an
environment to build Lua! (yes, more sarcasm. I can't help myself
today). I used the "create project from existing code" wizard and I
was able to build Lua (single exe). I would like to separate out the
interpreter, compiler and library into two exe's and a dll. I'll have
to reverse engineer a Makefile to find out how the files are split
unless someone can point me to an easier resource? Makefile scripts
are not one of my strong points. Hence the need for 13 GB of tools! :D

Russ

Divide the *.c files into the following groups:
1. lua.c
2. luac.c
3. l*lib.c
4. everything else

Then build:
lua.dll: 3+4
lua.exe: 1, linked to lua.dll
luac.exe: 2+4 (don't link to the DLL since it requires internal symbols)

Note that I'm typing this on my phone from memory, so I might have a detail or two wrong.