On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh. "Leveling the field" might be a less accurate description than
> "winnowing the chaff."

Point taken. But these were CS majors, so no excuse ;)

> Eh. That same argument could be used to justify Javascript in that
> role. Not sure I'd recommend THAT, and largely for the same reason --
> just because they SUPPORT functional programming doesn't mean anyone
> actually writes code that way.

Well I'm a multi-paradigm kind of person, so I'm cool with that. Point
is you could do a very Scheme-y introduction in Lua (_or_ Javascript,
I'm not proud)

> For the people for whom programming is incidental to their careers,
> vocational training is probably the RIGHT choice.

Oh yes, like an intro to Python for 'data science' students, etc. But
I was definitely thinking of CS majors here.