On 26/04/17 18:08, Hisham wrote:
I can attest that this
citation has at least some grain of truth. To this day I think very
concretely — but take into consideration that I learned that x=2 is a
stateful variable assignment_years_  before I learned that x=2 is a
mathematical equation (yes, I learned programming before elementary
school algebra)

The way these things work are really strange. I had classmate in high-school who was absolutely unable to solve any equation whatsoever; he said they made no sense to him. After a rather awkward discussion we understood what was going on: for him "x + y = z" made sense because you operated on the left and put the result on the right. But "x = z - y" was just gibberish, because there was nothing to do! So he had a sort of imperative thinking (notated backwards), probably developed from laborious number crunching in school (no computers involved).