On 25-Apr-17 19:38, Gé Weijers wrote:
Re: "dinky little micro": I've programmed in C++ on a MSP430G2452 (8K
flash, 512 bytes of RAM). In my opinion coding a useful program for a very
small micro like this 50 cent chip is an educational experience, it
challenges the assumptions of people who have never used a machine with
less than a couple of gigabytes of RAM :-)

Definitely. I would replace C++ with C, to keep all underlying concepts in plain view with no behind-the-scene magic.

The simpler the model, the easier it is to concentrate on the essentials: HP calculators with (if I remember correctly) 49 'program steps' helped a lot in teaching me resource management.

--
  Enrico