On 25-Apr-17 15:48, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
Dijkstra famously said:

     It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students
     that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers
     they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

I am fully convinced that this citation did (and still does) a huge
disservice to the teaching of programming.

I often thought the same thing. Apart from myself (but I actually started with HP's RPN calculators and then 6502 assembly) I still encounter old readers of my BASIC courses that went forward to a rewarding programming career.

--
  Enrico