On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 12:58 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Andrew Starks <andrew@starksfam.org> wrote:
>> I think that you're making a great case for the need for an
>> organizational structure and then concluding the opposite.
>
> Blame it on stream-of-consciousness thinking ;) Dirk's difficulties
> were much in my mind - too many choices, and hard to make those
> choices. Documentation remains a problem.
>
>> Also, such an organizing body doBues not need to exclude any modules. It
>> could for example say, "These modules are tested and built by the
>> organization, conform to its highest standard, do not overlap each
>> other, work well together, reasonably follow a specific style and are
>> thus a part of a core set.
>
> That's pretty much how Lua for Windows worked, and it did work well.
> Just didn't age well, and for largely technical reasons (my favourite
> reasons.)
>
> But, an opinionated bunch of people could do this tomorrow. The concern here is,
> "how representative are these people?".  "Are they Blessed?". But it
> is not LabLua's mission to bless community initiatives.  I did
> appreciate Etiene's contribution because she focused on initiatives
> that only a foundation could do - organize events, maybe raise
> funding, fly the flag.
>
>> Also, I believe that LuaRocks and LuaDist are a part of the solution.
>
> Of course. Very important work, and in an ideal world Hisham and Peter
> should get a grant ;)

I do volunteer work for other organizations and in the end the most
important aspect of an organizational body is to ensure consistency in
the practice of the foundations goals. This is best done through
rotation of duties and documentation of expectations. Otherwise, there
is only ever one person doing certain aspects and that can cause
resentment and ultimately that thing stops being maintained (being
stuck in a volunteer position that you no longer want to be performing
can really suck). This seems to be a large reason for some of the
shortfall of the Lua community.

Cheers,

Russ