> If some hardnosed individual starts up a website of "Lua modules
> that I use", with good documentation and fail-free builds over the
> platforms that Lua itself supports, people will vote with their feet.

Good documentation is very hard work.

My personal experiment of providing a precompiled Lua application for
Mac OS X containing most of my modules received no feedback. I'm not
complaining, but I can only assume that there is no interest:

Even here the key is fail-free builds. I'm still not sure how to provide
binaries that run in different versions of Mac OS X. Is it still by
using MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET ? If so, with what value?

Managing binary distributions is a bottomless pit...