From: benjamin.steinwender@k-ai.at
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:14 AM
To: lua-l@lists.lua.org
Reply To: Lua mailing list
Subject: RE: lua without OS calls for embedded systems

Hi,

we have successfully compiled Lua 5.3 for an embedded ARM Cortex-M4F with the following hints:

Remove lua.c and luac.c (no need for interpreter and compiler) and just use the C-API (described in the later chapters of the book).

Your base entry-point is luaconf.h.
However, a few items can (should?) be modified directly in the source:

If you are not requiring all libraries - you just have to comment out the respective lines in (linit.c).
You can also remove / uncomment several functions not needed from specific libraries (just follow the variables from here).

For the unresolved symbols:
To use math, you have to link the math library ("-lm" with gcc).
Probably you encounter a missing symbol for _gettimeofday - which is weakly defined in time.h.
It is used by the os_lib and by "luai_makeseed" in (lstate.c).

Either you provide your own version of this function (see below) or you remove os_lib (which you usually don't need on embedded controllers).
We have a RTC so we just provide the current time to Lua:

int _gettimeofday(struct timeval *tv, struct timezone *tz) {
tv->tv_sec = RTC_seconds();
tv->tv_usec = RTC_us();
}

-Benjamin