On 02/02/2017 09:27, Dirk Laurie wrote:

Since no one has complained yet, I don't know if there's something
wrong with my mail client, but it appears you hijacked this thread.

If this is the case, please, don't do it, i.e. don't reply to a mailing list
message and change its subject.

To my mind, one hijacks a thread when one replies to a message
and fails to change the subject. For example, you just hijacked the
code formatter thread by digressing into a discussion on thread
hijacking, and I am making it worse by responding to it.

Sorry, Dirk, but to me "Thread Hijacking" has always meant that someone changes the topic of a thread [1], independently from the form it takes.

Although sometimes it is sensible to fork a thread and create a subthread, and it happened here on lua-l several times, the OP appears to have done unintentionally what I suspected, replying to a random thread only to create a new thread. This, IMO, _is_ thread hijacking.

BTW, what we are doing right now is not hijacking the thread, IMO, but rather discussing _about_ the thread, i.e. we are going "meta"! :-)

GMail by default starts a new thread if the subject is different. There
probabaly is nothing *wrong* with your mail client, but you might
just check whether it has a user-selectable option that controls
how it presents threads.

Funny. I've been using Thunderbird for ages and I never had problems like this, i.e. other threads look ok. But according to Charles Heywood's previous reply, it seems that other clients don't get fooled like mine. <puzzled>

Cheers!

Lorenzo

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thread%20Hijacking