On 1/29/2017 11:41 PM, Egor Skriptunoff wrote:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
[snip snip snip]
   should 'int' and 'size_t', in C, have the same color?

You can make two different highlighting profiles
and switch between them depending on your needs.

Agree, and I can't think of anything really bad as far as modern syntax highlighting is concerned, and styling can always be adjusted to meet personal needs. I don't hear of folks complaining about highlighting in Visual Studio either. So why are some folks not using it? Anyone else who prefer monochrome text who wants to speak up? :-)

Here is an example using SciTE: It has 6 keyword styles available for C/C++, 8 keyword styles for Lua -- one can customize to their heart's content. I have multiple configurations, and some configuration is per-directory to meet coding standards of certain projects. Then I have a separate configuration set for microcontrollers (and separate word sets for PIC16/18/24), so that special registers (a separate style is very useful since there are hundreds of them) and custom types are styled differently versus normal identifiers.

As far as the single-quoted string example is concerned, the one with an error is highlighted as an error in SciTE using a different background colour up to the right edge of the line -- obvious and crystal-clear, it cannot be missed. If your editor does not do this, then perhaps it should be improved...

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)