Hi!

Thank you, Charles, for the quick answer - didn't notice it at first because it went to my spam folder unfortunately.

I've checked the files (dlls and exe) for certain bytes but none of them except the executable contained strings which come from Lua e.g. dofile, loadstring, etc. Good news is, I was able to locate this mapping table for (fnc_name, fnc_address) which I thought might exist. After looking into the source code and using OllyDbg I think I was able to locate luaL_openlib inside the executable. I've looked at lauxlib.c (see [1]) in the Lua 5.0.3 code and it seems that this functions is registering (name, address) tuples, is that correct? It appears to get called in base_open() in lbaselib.c (see [2]).

However, these are the last few assembly instructions of luaL_openlib inside the executable:

luaL_openlib:
  ; original code
  ; <smuggle in code>
  pop edi
  pop esi
  pop ebp
  pop ebx
  retn

I already know that this is getting executed by the main thread as the program starts so here is my question:

luaL_openlib has 4 parameters which I should be able to find on the stack inside this function during execution. Since I know the exact address of luaL_openlib I should be able to place my code in <smuggle in code> which is just a jmp to a few lines of assembly code which load "my-lua-extensions.dll" and registers the Lua functions I prepared in there (only once of course since luaL_openlib gets called multiple times).

What I need to know here if luaL_openlib will be enough to register a new set of functions? There is this lua_State struct that's getting passed through all this functions. I am afraid that I could mess up the state of this object as I inject my code at this point somewhere.

I am sorry if that question is a rather big one - any ideas or thoughts are very welcome! :)

BR; Stefan

[1] https://www.lua.org/source/5.0/lauxlib.c.html

[2] https://www.lua.org/source/5.0/lbaselib.c.html