On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 4:11 AM, Jeff Rouse <jeffr@activestate.com> wrote:

> Mason also suggested a GUI framework. Is this a huge need do you feel? We
> often hear this a problem in other languages as well but it is usually a
> very difficult thing to maintain longer term and never seems important
> enough in this age of web front ends.

As I have said before, what I have observed at my customers (large
corporate IT departments) is just ActivePerl (and a bit of
ActivePython) on Windows, both on servers and desktops (small
applications for various monitoring and support functions). So this is
a _very_ limited point of view.

Many of these small apps have a very simple GUI - typically one page
with a few fields, one or two dropdown lists and some options.  This
is why I was thinking more along the lines of GtkDialog than a full
fledged GUI framework.

A useful feature for this sort of use cases is also the ability to
bundle the app as a single executable that can be moved around without
installation.

HTH

Phil