>If you would like to ask any questions or provide thoughts on where we can best help the Lua community

The biggest weakness of the Lua community is probably fragmentation,
so one of the best ways that you can help the community is by working
with the other people in your space. There are a number of "standard
library" attempts:

For PUC Lua:
http://luadist.org/

For LuaJIT:
http://luapower.org/
http://torch.ch/

LuaRocks (http://luarocks.org/) is probably the most important Lua
module system, so of course your product must work with LuaRocks. In
addition to that it could help to discuss with the maintainers of the
above projects how you can support using those distributions in your
IDE (Torch is huge; the other two should be easy).

There are a couple of frameworks for Lua that are popular; one of the
most important projects for hobbyists is LÖVE, which is used for
making little indie games (I think of it as a better Flash but without
the convenience of NPAPI):

http://love2d.org/

There are a lot of other game development frameworks that use Lua, of
course; There are also two (I think only two?) significant Lua web
frameworks:
http://leafo.net/lapis
http://sailorproject.org/
Particularly the latter seems to be tilted towards ease-of-use and so
they would probably be happy to have an IDE that had good support for
it, although whether the project is really ready for that kind of
investment on your part isn't my judgment call.

There are also two significant GUI frameworks, of which Qt Lua is
probably more significant:
http://github.com/torch/qtlua -- binding to Qt (LGPL)
http://github.com/peersuasive/luce -- binding to JUCE (a
GPL-or-commercial product which apparently makes money)
I think the people behind these would be happy to hear from you.

Lua has always had multithreading support, but parallelism in pure Lua
requires the use of an external library. Debugging parallel Lua
programs written with those libraries requires more work on the part
of the debugger than debugging vanilla Lua. The most important
concurrency solutions for Lua are:

http://github.com/askyrme/luaproc
http://cmr.github.io/lanes
http://github.com/torch/threads (integrated into the torch7 library)

Having the IDE actually work with these is a major advantage.
Debugging parallel code is pretty hard, so being able to do it is very
nice.

The other thing that comes to mind is that there is a pretty large
fraction of Lua users who primarily communicate in Portuguese (the
language is from Brazil) and there is also some significant adoption
of Lua by Chinese-speaking users, and supporting those languages would
probably be good for both your marketshare and the community as a
whole.

Anyway there's a lot you can do. You're not the first to try to bring
order to the Lua universe -- just try to be the best.

-Mason