On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 2:56 AM, KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/2016 3:07 AM, Jeff Rouse wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>> At ActiveState we have been in the open source tools and languages
>> business (Python, Perl, Tcl) for almost 20 years. We also build
>> developer tools, which are our Komodo Edit (open source) and IDE,
>> which has basic Lua support, and we are actively making further
>> Lua development improvements in those products.
>

> As a contributor to the Scintilla edit control, I applaud ActiveState's long
> history of contributing to that project, and look forward to seeing more Lua
> developer tools appearing in the market.
>
> Most hardware hobbyists have yet to move to IoT/embedded hardware with
> plenty of RAM and CPU power, but we're already seeing folks impressed by
> trailblazers like nodeMCU.
OMG. WANT!

With plenty of CPU and RAM, scripting and its
> attendant benefits can be embraced with minimal downsides, just as the
> gaming industry has done. When AAA games are built on game engines with
> scripting and all, they must have hit on something right. Complex IoT can
> benefit from productivity multipliers in the same way.

Using lua-http and cqueues I've so far been able to produce a small
IoT proof of concept in a few months at night. The memory usage isn't
where I want it to be right now, but Lua has done exactly what it's
supposed to do: wrap other languages so I don't have to learn them. I
haven't written a lick of C yet and I have a fully polled and threaded
application. Debian and FreeBSD support. Websocket or HTTP, TLS
support, file polling, GPIO (work in progress on FreeBSD). Interrupt
handling is (hopefully) next.

I was hoping to support something small like an M4 or a little PIC,
but I don't know if that's going to be possible. That's a different
post that I'll get to later this week. :)

https://github.com/daurnimator/lua-http
http://www.25thandclement.com/~william/projects/cqueues.html

https://github.com/RussellHaley/lua-http-endpoints (currently broken)

Cheers,