process SIP messages (our customer is one of The Monopolistic
Phone Companies [1]), with each transation being handled as a coroutine and
performance has yet to be an issue (millions of calls per day).
Let's take for exaple 10 000 000 SIP messages per day, most of them would be in business time, so half of a day. 10000000/43200 = 231 message per second, or ~7.7 messages per 33 ms. FPS game I'm porting must run at least 30 FPS, that's why 1 update has to be at most 33ms long. Let's be optimistic and say that rendering and other engine staff takes only 1/4 of this time and so Lua scripts (complete game logics) has 24ms. And during this 24ms it must process tons of scripted events, checks and only scripters know what else. So yes, performance is of concerne especially knowing that script optimization done by modders already increase FPS by approx. 1/4 and helped reduce/eliminate stutter in heavy crowded places.

But, to not be stucked with one library I took Boris's advice and just used plain Lua 5.1 with LuaCoCo. It compiles - good sign. Later on we will see I we'll have to go back to LuaJIT and try to integrate LuaCoCo to 2.0.x

Thanks to all for the advices.
Yurii

It was thus said that the Great Bizins'kyi Yurii once stated:
> First, I'm a bit of concerned with performance.

  It's only a concern if the performance is too slow.  At work, I'm using
Lua 5.1 to process SIP messages (our customer is one of The Monopolistic
Phone Companies [1]), with each transation being handled as a coroutine and
performance has yet to be an issue (millions of calls per day).

> Second, and it is more
> important, in this phase of porting to x64 I'd like to do as few changes to
> the code as possible to reduce number of possible bugs to find. Basically,
> I don't need any new functionality, I just need x64 support of old lib.

  Lua (5.1, 5.2, 5.3) compiles and works just fine on x86-64 (and on 64-bit
SPARC; we use those too).  Really, it comes down to other libraries you
might need compiled.  I wouldn't worry too much about Lua.

  -spc

[1]     Yeah, I know---a monopoly is *one company*.  But in my defense,
        *ALL* phone companies are monopolistic in their dark little hearts.