Hi

I don't comment often ...

But this reminds me of the sterling* data type  in PL/I ... Something that solved a no doubt pressing problem for someone, but in reality ended up in making the language just that much more baroque and incomprehensible to the rest of the world.

Thanks
Frank Kastenholz

* for you young pups :-) before the UK got a bit less eccentric, a pound sterling used to consist of 20 shillings, each of which consisted of 12 pence... PL/I used to let you say 3.4.5L for 3 pounds, 4 shillings, and 5 pence. The world is marginally saner but less interesting since :-)