On 5 August 2016 at 22:48, Soni L. <fakedme@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can't make it interoperate with plain Lua strings. (e.g. no __key
> metamethod, etc)

OK, that's the important fact I needed, thanks for the pointer. Not
being able to substitute my type for a string when indexing would be a
pain, so it's not going to be worth doing.

On 6 August 2016 at 10:28, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, there will be some overhead, but might be useful to measure the
> impact before designing around a problem which isn't a problem.

Oh, sure, there's no doubt this is a massive case of premature
optimisation :-) It was more that it seemed like an interesting
problem to look at than a real need.

Paul