On 05.08.2016 at 21:54 Paul K wrote:
Hmm, looks like it does more or less what I'm doing at the moment
(converting wide strings to Lua strings), but it doesn't use UTF-8,
but rather uses the ANSI codepage (so it's just as vulnerable to
mojibake as Lua's os.getenv, for example). But thanks for the pointer
anyway.

It does support UTF8, you just need to set it explicitly:
winapi.set_encoding(winapi.CP_UTF8).

It will then be passed to MultiByteToWideChar, WideCharToMultiByte,
and other calls.

Paul.

Have a look at http://utf8everywhere.org/, especially section 10 "How to do text on Windows". That might answer your question and IMHO the whole document is very interesting for anyone who works with encodings.

But from the top of my head, using the wide string APIs and converting from UTF-8 to UTF-16 is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, the os and io parts of Lua's standard library will be largely unusable for you, since Windows does not support setting UTF-8 as ANSI codepage and neither does Microsoft's C runtime (setlocale()). You will basically have to use a self-patched version replacing calls such as fopen with their MS-specific UTF-16 equivalents such as _wfopen.

‒ Christian